Page updated as of May 2020
State Code Agency:
Department of Labor & Industry
Bureau of Industrial Safety
1723 Labor & Industry Building
651 Boas Street
Harrisburg, PA 17121
Current State Codes and Edition Adopted: Note 10-1-18 adoption of 2015 I-Codes
- 2015 International Building Code (IBC)
- 2015 International Existing Building code (IEBC)
- 2015 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2015 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2015 International Residential Code (IRC)
Applicability (statewide, local, limited): STATEWIDE
The state adopts by law the IBC and all codes referenced by the IBC except for Property Maintenance. Local jurisdictions can amend the state code to be more restrictive, but these ordinances can be appealed to the Secretary of Labor & Industry, who then holds a hearing and determines whether the local amendment will be allowed. The codes are updated following the issuance of new editions of the ICC codes every three years. The Review & Advisory Council (RAC) reviews the changes from the previous edition, takes input from interested parties and recommends whether any change should not be included in the updated codes adopted by the state. The updated codes are then adopted through the regulatory process.
Please review the information found here for code adoption:
Amendments Disadvantaging Wood Construction:
No apparent amendments.
Next Update Cycle (amendment opportunities):
NOTE: PA has adopted the 2015 I-Codes (with exceptions) as planned on 10/1/2018. Effective 12/21/2015, various section and amendments of the 2015 IBC were adopted by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:
- Section 304.1 concerning "Business Group B" uses and occupancies.
- Section 306.2 concerning "moderate-hazard factory industrial, Group F-1" uses and occupancies.
- Section 2902.3 concerning exceptions for "employee and public toilet facilities."
- Section 902.1 (relating to definitions) to the extent that "Automatic Water Mist System" was added.
- Section 904.2 (relating to installation of automatic fire-extinguishing systems).
- Section 904.2.1 (relating to restrictions on using automatic sprinkler system exceptions or reductions).
- Section 904.11 (relating to automatic water mist systems).
- Section 904.11.1 (relating to design and installation requirements).
- Section 904.11.1.1 (relating to general requirements for design and installation).
- Section 904.11.1.2 (relating to actuation).
- Section 904.11.1.3 (relating to water supply protection).
- Section 904.11.1.4 (relating to secondary water supply).
- Section 904.11.2 (relating to water mist system supervision and alarms).
- Section 904.11.2.1 (relating to monitoring).
- Section 904.11.2.2 (relating to alarms).
- Section 904.11.2.3 (relating to floor control valves).
- Section 904.11.3 (relating to testing and maintenance).
- Section 907.2.11.3 (relating to installation of smoke alarms near cooking appliances).
- Section 907.2.11.4 (relating to installation of smoke alarms near bathrooms).
- Chapter 11 is adopted and requires that buildings and facilities also comply with the accessibility requirements found in other chapters of the International Building Code 2015 and in the ICC/ANSI A117.1 2009 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities standard.
- Appendix E (Supplementary Accessibility Requirements) is adopted.
2015 International Energy Conservation Code Section (otherwise 2009 IECC is applicable) adoptions:
- Section R202 only to the extent that this section contains the definition of "insulated siding."
- Section R402.2.4 (relating to access hatches and doors).
- Section R402.2.8 (relating to floors).
- Table R402.4.1.1 only to the extent the row for "floors" was amended.
- Section 402.1.3 (relating to r-value computation).