Page updated as as of January 2020
State Code Agency:
State Building Official
Edward Smith, Director, Codes & Standards Division,
Department of Community Affairs
101 South Broad Street
PO Box 802
Trenton, NJ 08625
Current State Codes and Edition Adopted:
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC), New Jersey Edition
- 2018 International Building and Residential Codes (IRC), New Jersey Edition Combo
- 2018 International Fire Code (IFC-Referenced)
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2018 International Swimming Pool & Spa Code
Applicability (statewide, local, limited): STATEWIDE
New Jerseyâ€™s Uniform Construction Code (UCC) adopts codes by regulation. The codes are administered by the Department of Community Affairs (DCA) Division of Codes & Standards. They are uniform statewide and local jurisdictions are not permitted to amend.
Please review the information found here for code adoption information: https://www.nj.gov/dca/divisions/codes/codreg/index.html
Amendments Disadvantaging Wood Construction:
There are several revisions reducing the height and area of wood buildings. Additionally, there are several pieces of legislation, which will greatly affect wood construction.
Next Update Cycle (amendment opportunities):
New Jersey typically adopts the latest version of the I-Codes on a three (3) year cycle.
NJ adopted the 2018 I-Codes on 9-3-19