Page updated as of May 2020
State Code Agency:
State Fire Marshal and Building Official:
Jim Heine, State Fire Marshal
246 South 14th Street
Lincoln, NE 68508-1804
Phone: (402) 471-2027
Fax: (402) 471-3118
Current State Codes and Edition Adopted:
Codes are adopted locally. The Nebraska legislature is responsible for establishing building codes into the law and local jurisdictions then adopts the codes.
Nebraska Statute 71-6403 authorizes local jurisdiction to adopt a building code, but jurisdictions
that do so must adopt the International Building Code. The State Energy Office is authorized to adopt alternate energy standards if they are equivalent to or more restrictive than the IECC.
- 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC)
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC), except chapter 13 (2009 edition)
- 2009 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
- 2015 or 2009 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
- 2009 or 2006 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
- 2018 International Residential Code (IRC), except Chapter 11 (2009 edition) and R313.
- 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
- 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- 2012 International Fire Code (IFC)
Applicability (statewide, local, limited): LIMITED
Codes are primarily adopted and enforced locally.
Amendments Disadvantaging Wood Construction
No obvious disadvantages.
Next Update Cycle (amendment opportunities):
The State law appears to adopt the 2018 IBC and IRC.