Go to Mobile Site
AWC Banner AWC Logo Contact Us Shop Search Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS

Frequently Asked Questions

Can Oriented Strand Board (OSB) be used interchangeably with plywood?

Yes. From section 9.1.3 of the 2005 NDS: The term "wood structural panel" refers to a wood-based panel product bonded with a waterproof adhesive. Included under this designation are plywood, OSB, and composite panels. The term "composite panel" refers to a wood structural panel comprised of wood veneer and reconstituted wood-based material and bonded with waterproof adhesive. The term OSB refers to a mat-formed wood structural panel comprised of thin rectangular wood stands arranged in cross-aligned layers with surface layers normally arranged in the long panel direction and bonded with waterproof adhesive. The term "plywood' refers to a wood structural panel comprised of plies of wood veneer arranged in cross-aligned layers. The plies are bonded with an adhesive that cures on application of heat and pressure.

For additional information, contact the following organizations:

7011 S. 19th Street
Tacoma, Washington 98466
Fax: 253-565-7265
Website: http://www.apawood.org/

5650 Terra Court
Sun Prairie, WI 53590
Toll-Free Phone: 866-837-2790
Phone: 608-837-2790
Fax: 608-837-2830
Website: http://www.tecotested.com/ 

Structural Board Association
25 Valleywood Drive, Unit 27
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 5L9
Phone: 905-475-1100
Fax: 905-475-1101
Website: http://www.osbguide.com/

Also see http://www.awc.org/technical/ewpinfo.html for more information.

Back To FAQ Home Page


Wood Products

Engineered Wood Products

Panel Products

| | | |